• 1 cup fresh breadcrumbs
• ½ cup Harraways Traditional Wholegrain Oats
• ½ cup grated cheese (we used a mixture of tasty cheddar and parmesan cheese)
• 1 large eggplant, cut into slices
• ¼ cup olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
• 1 shallot, finely chopped
• 2 cloves garlic, crushed
• 700g beef and pork mince, combined
• 400g can chopped tomatoes in juice
• 2 tablespoons tomato paste
• ¼ cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley leaves
• 2 tablespoons of torn basil leaves
• 1 tablespoon chopped picked thyme leaves
• 250g good-quality ricotta
2. To make the crumble, mix all ingredients and set aside.
3. Heat a large frying pan until hot. Brush eggplant slices with oil and fry in batches until tender. Remove from pan and set aside. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
4. Heat remaining oil in the pan over low heat. Add shallot and garlic and cook until soft. Add mince, turn up the heat and brown, stirring with a wooden spoon to break it up. Add chopped tomatoes, tomato paste and herbs.
5. Lower the heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
6. Place half of the meat mixture into the base of the prepared dish. Top with half the eggplant slices and half of the ricotta. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
7. Top with the crumble, drizzle with a little extra olive oil and cook in the oven for 20 minutes, until hot and bubbling.